Friday, January 19, 2007

Hello from EP Designs

Recreating items into decorative pieces is what I love to do. This was an old wooden compote which I dug up from a recycling yard or op-shop. I enjoy fossicking through these places to see what old, inspiring treasures I can find. Well, perhaps they're unwanted junk to those who have discarded them, but for me they're treasures because I can see the potential in them. Sometimes when I pick up an item I know exactly what I'm going to do with it - I can picture how the new treasure will look when it's finished; and sometimes I simply have a good feeling about a particular item that I find - and when I begin the recreating I just allow the creativity to flow until I'm happy with the finished piece.

This compote is a simple yet elegant piece and I've decided to display this work first as it was the first piece sold internationally, to a customer in the US. (Christmas 2005)